1.- PLANET EARTH.
1.1. THE SOLAR SYSTEM AND THE EARTH
1.1.1. THE SOLAR SYSTEM AND THE SUN
· Stars: giant spheres of gas that emit light and heat.
· Sun: star at the centre of our Solar System.
· Comets: small celestial bodies that orbit the Sun in an elliptical path.
· Planets: large, spherical celestial bodies that orbit the Sun.
1.1.2. THE PLANETS
· Inner planets: made up mostly of rock.
Mercury, Venus, the Earth and Mars.
· Outer planets: made up mostly of gas.
Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
1.1.3. THE EARTH AND THE MOON
· Earth: is the largest of the inner planets.
is a sphere but is not perfectly round (is squashed at the poles)
· Moon: Earth’s natural satellite
It takes 28 days to orbit the Earth.
Phases: new moon, waxing moon, full moon, waning moon.
1.2. THE EARTH’S MOVEMENTS.
· It rotates around its axis.
· It takes 24 hours.
· It produces day and night.
· The sun rises _ East. The sun sets _ West.
· It rotates around the Sun.
· It takes 365 days.
· It produces the seasons: spring, summer, autumn and winter.
· When the Northern hemisphere is summer; the Southern hemisphere is winter.
· When the Northern hemisphere is winter; the Southern hemisphere is summer.
1.3. OUR PLANET EARTH
1.3.1. THE EARTH IS UNIQUE.
· Perfect distance from the Sun.
· Layer of air.
1.3.2. THE LAYERS OF THE EARTH.
· Hydrosphere: liquid part (water: freshwater and saltwater).
Seas, oceans, rivers, lakes and ground water.
· Geosphere: solid part (rock)
Continents and islands.
· Atmosphere: gas part (air)